Monday, October 31, 2011

Egg-Cheese Souffles

Happy Halloween! Yay, October 31st! Whew, October really flew by! I just bought a bunch of candy for the kids that might come by.  Candy isn't that cheap...On top of that, there are so many different kinds to choose from.  Who knew candy shopping could be so difficult?

Yeah I probably should've done something Halloween themed but I didn't (obviously).  I spontaneously decided to make a egg-cheese souffle yesterday since I had milk, a bunch of eggs, butter, and flour.  Sunken souffle pictures below.


The reason I say egg-cheese souffle is 'cause the only cheese I had was shredded mozzarella. It's not that strong. I wish I had something like gruyere or smoked gouda.  It was MUCH more of an egg souffle than a cheese one.


I decided not to follow a recipe.  Sort of a mistake, just a little one.  I made the basic bechamel sauce (cream sauce) added in some cayenne pepper for a kick.  Mixed in the egg yolks, then the stiff meringue (beaten egg whites).  The ramekins I used were pretty big and I decided to fill them up to the top. MISTAKE! They started overflowing and dripping.  They did rise nicely and bake well, just some dripped out.

I will figure out how to make a souffle without a recipe!

Up next: Something inspired by Giada de Laurentis (during her Halloween episode yes after Halloween)

0 comments:

Post a Comment