Sunday, October 30, 2011

Masterchef Open Call Auditions 2011

I didn't make it past the first round.

Yeah, I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.  I mean overall it was a fun, new, fresh experience and I enjoyed it.  Although I could've done without the waiting in line.  It was about a 4-5 hour wait.  I felt SO BAD for my cousin, aunt, and uncle who decided to come with me.  My cousin waited with me while my aunt and uncle went out to go do stuff.  I should've gone by myself since the time was indefinite...

I met some interesting people in line.  I met a girl from Chula Vista actually.  She owns this video game competition company.  The only one in SD, called The Box Arena.  She was pretty cool and encouraged me to grow some of my own produce which I might do now that my patio actually has sunlight...I also met an older couple.  They were pretty cool too, although I always find it interesting when adults cuss more than young people :P

After I got inside, we had 3 minutes to plate our dish.  And dang did some people have some DELICIOUS looking food.  The lady next to me made a cioppino, which is a lovely seafood stew. Smelled so good!.  The girl I met in line did a roasted pumpkin soup with all the fresh vegetables from her garden, looked so creamy and good. My stomach is growling at me as I'm thinking about the food...

The personality people came by to my station and asked me questions about why I want to be on Masterchef, who I am, etc.  Then a food judge person came by.  Asked me about how I made it, what inspires me to cook, what dish I would've done if I did a savory dish.  I regretted my answers to all those questions.  I needed to show them that I have KNOWLEDGE of food.  I for some reason felt rushed and did not give very detailed answers.  I should've broken down the process of how I made it instead of, "I made the crepe batter, then the pastry cream, then the..." at least listed the ingredients..
What inspires me to cook? Food bloggers.  Regular people who make amazing, creative, technique driven food without any culinary training.  People who just love to cook and make people happy.  My spoken answer had something to do with being creative with food...blah blah..
The worst was when she asked me what I would make if I did a savory dish.  I did not even think about that, so in panic I said "pan seared duck breast tacos" with such a lack of confidence in my voice. Ugh.  On the drive home, I knew what I should've said.  Korean bbq wontons, marinated, grilled, minced and mixed with cream cheese, sauteed green onions, and korean spicy paste, gochujang.  Shallow fried.  With an Asian pear and carrot slaw tossed with an orange-basil vinaigrette to add some acid and brightness to the dish.

Well, that's that.  Life will keep moving on and I will keep on cooking.  Masterchef, I will be back!
Time to drive back home to San Diego! I miss it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, I'm real proud of you even though you didn't make it through the first round. You gained good experience from this and now you can improve for the next one (since you know how you want to answer the questions next time). Keep it up! I'm always rooting for you. Let us know when you grow your own produce! That's always a fun treat. We had tomatoes in our patio. :3
    Much love, cousin! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the Miami Casting Call. The Line was very short compared to what I seen online in LA. I was number 36 in line and I got in there after only about a hour or so. We had 3 minutes too to plate our dish. I went with Freshly baked bread, which I made a Fresh sandwich with, Fresh Mozzarella and Basil and Prosciutto... with a home made herb drizzle. I was going for FRESH LOCAL FOODS to impress the judges, I wanted them to see that I really used all my local rescours... I did feel that you were judged on your PERSONALITY more than your Dish, Which I thought was not right... I mean I do agree u have to be able to be on TV as well but Come on, some of the ppl that stayed were nut cases.... Oh well... I'll see them next year too if I don't get my call back. :)

    ReplyDelete