Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ratatouille's ratatouille

I've watched the movie, Ratatouille maybe, oh, 5000 times this summer already for some unknown reason.  Oh yeah, I love cooking, that's right.

Of course, you know the little rat chef, Remy, makes this delicious looking ratatouille for Anton Ego, the harsh critic and it pretty much blows his mind.  I found the recipe for Thomas Keller's ratatouille (confit byaldi) on NY Times.  I didn't follow it exactly, but as close as possible.


Here's the link to the recipe if you want to try it.  http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/13/dining/131rrex.html
I made a few changes just so it would be a little easier and cheaper on me :P


I used green zucchini, yellow zucchini and roma tomatoes.  I didn't buy any Japanese eggplant or yellow squash, so I had less things.  I didn't want to buy fresh thyme just because it was expensive and I don't see myself using all of it before it expires, but I didn't have the dried stuff either, so I used dried sage.  It actually wasn't bad at all, I really liked it.  I'm sure it would have tasted better with the thyme though.

The baking time said 2 hours, but I did it for an hour and 30 and the vegetables were still fork tender.  Then I did the additional 30 minutes without the foil, but maybe I browned it too much?  Yeah it was pretty tasty, and I let my friends eat it for their potluck and they all liked it, so it was a success!


By the way, I love farmer's markets.  I got the zucchini from there, SO GOOD! And the man was so nice, he gave me extra squash and zucchini to experiment with! :) I think I'm gonna roast them or grill them!

Thanks for stopping by and happy cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment