Friday, July 15, 2011

[Food] Trip to New York Day 2-MESA Grill

For lunch, we had Mesa Grill, Bobby Flay's Restaurant :D

Yes, Southwestern food. in New York.  Hehe, we went all around the world during this trip.  
They gave us some jalepeno-blue corn/yellow corn cornbread. And regular bread, but I wasn't concerned about that.

Look at those colors on the inside.  I was NOT expecting that at all.  "Whoa this has blue corn in it too!" was pretty much what I said after I cut in to it. (I hope it's blue corn, I have been so wrong about SO many food items, I suck)


My mom really wanted to try this appetizer.  Shrimp and roasted garlic corn tamale with fresh corn and a cilantro sauce.  Gah, the flavors were beautiful.  I loved the sweetness of the corn and shrimp with the bitterness of the cilantro and the kick of garlic.  You know I have never found a good way of describing cilantro's flavor.  Some people think it tastes like soap, I guess it's just them.


I wanted to get this soft shell crab salad, but they weren't serving it because the chef felt like the crabs weren't as good as they could be, sadness :(! and in a rush I picked cobb salad.  As he left I immediately regret my decision forgetting what a cobb salad consisted of.  LAME! on the plus side, it did have lamb on it which I love, maybe that's why I chose it in a haste.  But yeah, probably my least favorite dish of the entire DAY due to lack of uniqueness.  However, every individual ingredient in the salad seemed so fresh.  It was nice!

Smoked Lamb Cobb Salad: tomatoes, avocado, Maytag blue cheese, bacon, eggs and buttermilk dressing


My dad got a mesa burger.  He's kind of boring when it comes to food. But this burger was pretty damn good.  The beef was super moist and was nice and large. I also enjoyed the southwestern fries, just a kick of some spices. Hmm, I didn't know it had horseradish mustard in it....again taste bud fail.

Mesa Burger: double cheddar cheese, grilled vidalia onion, horseradish mustard on a house roll + southwestern fries.


I REALLY wanted to order this one, but my mom did.  You can barely tell that's salmon huh? So you see the black beans on the bottom, then this orange sauce which I believe was the spicy black bean sauce, then that black burnt thing on top? That's the salmon.  Despite it's exterior color, it was cooked perfectly! The inside was so tender, moist and the fish fell at its lines. I also thoroughly enjoyed the red onions with the salmon.

Ancho-Chile Honey Glazed Salmon: spicy black bean sauce, tomatillo salsa, and roasted jalapeno crema. (I cold not taste all of the components in this dish...)


for dessert was a beautiful, moist 4 layer toasted coconut cake with a coconut cream sauce.  It was SUPER moist with a wonderful coconut flavor to it.  I loved the cream sauce as well.  *drool* I want it again. now. right now....


Yuppp! Since lunch had a bunch of pictures, I'll do dinner as a separate post another day! Hope you enjoyed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment