Jana of Cherry Tea Cakes was our July Daring Bakers’ host and she challenges us to make Fresh Frasiers inspired by recipes written by Elisabeth M. Prueitt and Chad Robertson in the beautiful cookbook Tartine.
This was a super fun challenge! :D and it also was kind of nice that my roommate's (Justin) girlfriend, Joyce had a birthday this past weekend, so I helped him make this cake for her.
Instead of making it with strawberries, since his girlfriend likes raspberries we used those. We also needed to make it much smaller than the recipe called for since it was just for her. Unfortunately, the only thing I had was a ramekin, but it worked out nicely.
Yes, the heart shape was his idea, aww cute! We dusted the top with some unsweetened cocoa powder. The rest of the components were really fun to make too!
The recipe used a lightened pastry cream. We made a vanilla pastry cream and following the recipe added in some whipped cream to lighten it up. The pastry cream was made with egg yolks instead of whole eggs to make it thicker and more rich since it was going to be lightened by whipped cream anyways. Gelatin was also added to help it stiffen and hold its shape when the cake was unmolded.
The cake base was a lemon vanilla chiffon cake. It's on the lighter side of sponge cakes, but also a bit more dry so the recipe called for some simple syrup. Since Joyce's favorite drink, according to Justin, is amaretto sour, we flavored the simple syrup with amaretto. It was pretty subtle, but if you really looked for it, you could taste it.
I mean, not the smoothest pastry cream nor best cake assembling, but it was pretty darn tasty. I really liked it and glad I got to make it with my roommate :D
I can't wait to see what next month's challenge is!
0 comments:
Post a Comment