BUT, trust me, it's pretty freaking good! Well, that is if you like steak and coffee...again, I don't drink coffee that much, but this was some good stuff.
It's not that crazy I promise. Apparently it has been done quite often :D this is definitely going to be one of my entrees for MASA's Iron Chef. Sorry Circle K, y'all better be READY for this!
I took from a recipe, but this rub just consists of kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, coffee grounds (better if it's from the whole beans, crushed) and brown sugar. The coffee gives it a bit of coffee, smoky kick towards the end. The aroma also wafts through after pulling it out of the oven.
I believe I used tender loin. I seared the steak on both sides and stuck it in a 400 degree oven for about 4-5 minutes and a nice juicy medium rare.
So here's a nifty thing I learned about cuts of beef. A cow has muscles, just like most animals do. The muscles that are used more have more connective tissue and are very tough cuts of meat. (yeah BUFFNESS!) So they need to cook low and slow to be wonderfully tender. For the cow, that would be the legs and the neck. So the farther away the meat is from the neck and feet, the more tender it is. Cut of beef like chuck, short ribs (see braised ribs below), shank (calf area); those need to be cooked low and slow. Sirloin and top sirloin are around the mid-back so they don't need to be cooked for long periods of time.
OKay, that was a lot more than I thought it would be, but I hope it was informative! Until next time! Happy cooking!
0 comments:
Post a Comment