Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dover Sole and Pasta Sauce

hello, we meet again...FISH!

Dover sole, I've never even heard of it until I looked in the frozen section of TJs (trader joe's). It was a really REALLY thin piece of fish, so I was really worried about overcooking it. But when I sauteed it, it was still frozen in the middle so I think it helped keep it from drying out.

It just melts in your mouth, but it ALSO falls apart really easily. When I tried to flip it, it just turned into a lot of little pieces. Oh well. Note: butter and fish always go well together :D

I ended up making some homemade tomato sauce. Not like, super homemade, using freshly cut tomatoes, but I used a can of plum tomatoes. I added some garlic, shallots, onions, oregano, fennel seeds, salt, pepper. Let it simmer for a good 20-30 minutes, it twas good! I used some linguine noodles, yay!

(photo credit: Jon Chan!) man dslrs are A-mazing! definitely looks more appetizing than mine :P I had a good friend, Jon, help me out that day. We decided to play around with flavors a bit and seasoned the rest of the sole fillets we had with different spices.
1. Paprika - very subtle...honestly, I can't pick out this flavor very well...
2. Chinese 5 spice - very strong as per usual, it just explodes in your mouth
3. Cumin - also very aromatic, strong, has a tendency to remind people of curry
4. Cayenne pepper and Chili powder - I'm sure you can guess this one

It was good times! a HORRIBLE looking lemon meringue pie is up next! and also see what I do with the leftover pie crust and lemon curd :D

Leave some comments! Thanks for stopping by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment