Friday, January 14, 2011

MASA "Iron Chef" Appetizer

What's MASA you ask? Well it stands for Multi Asian Student Association. I am NOT involved at all. The only thing I have done with them is Kunfusion (their non competitive dance team).
BUT, I saw this event they were having "Iron Chef Tryouts". Apparently they have an annual battle with another student organization on campus, so I am trying out!

The "secret" ingredient is: BACON! Yumm, can you say heart attack?

My appetizer is a take on eggs benedict. I love this dish at restaurants, so why not use this as a base for this appetizer?


Eggs Benedict is traditionally made with an English muffin, Canadian bacon (why do they even call it that?), a poached egg and Holladaise sauce. I took out the English muffin and Canadian bacon and replaced them with pan-fried potatoes and strips of bacon. Hehe, after I cooked the bacon, I used the oil to cook the potatoes in :P who doesn't love bacon fat?

I also added a little twist and put in some hummus in between the potatoes (not homemade unfortuately). I liked the little kick it gave. This was also my first time making hollandaise sauce, one of the 5 mother sauces of France. It's a simple emulsion of egg yolk and butter with a bit of lemon (wow eggs benedict is pretty bad for you...). It's thick and rich!

Poached eggs are probably my FAVORITE way of eating eggs. I LOVE the flowing yolk, so good. Although this one was a bit underdone, oh well, more yolk for me :D I garnished it with some chives and bacon bits.

Hope you enjoyed! And I definitely hope to win those tryouts!

0 comments:

Post a Comment