It's been almost a week since my last update! Sorry guys, I've been having major laptop problems, so I had to reformat it, back up data, all that stuff. But I definitely have some things waiting to be posted.
 |
| Lemons and lemon zest! |
As I was getting ready to leave my cousin's house after Thanksgiving weekend., my uncle gave me a couple lemons from their tree. First thought, "Lemon Curd!" I haven't had it in such a long time, how perfect! I got the recipe
here. The teenage gourmet. I like seeing younger people into cooking, makes me happy. But also makes me wish I got into it when I was younger...
 |
| Luscious lemon curd |
Nice and thick. I love this recipe because it's all in one pot and no double boiler. Although I'm sure using a double boiler would result in a smoother curd, but for my purposes it's perfectly fine.
 |
| Looked gorgeous when I took it out! |
I was watching Secrets of a Restaurant Chef on Food Network a couple days after I got back to San Diego. And Anne Burrell made this Olive Oil Cake. Gah! It sounded soo good and she put lemon zest in hers, but since I used all mine up for the lemon curd, might as well put the lemon curd in the cake.
She used a sweet sherry, I had none so I used spiced rum. Although, mistake on my part I should've used more rum. It was a half a cup and I used about 1/4 cup. I didn't want to use too much rum :P! And I probably didn't do a great job incorporating all the ingredients properly because...
 |
| Bottom half undercooked :( |
The bottom half of my cake was very underdone. It looked like all the oil "fell" to the bottom of the cake and stayed there. I'm thinking (oh no science coming out) since the oil is basic and the alcohol is slightly acidic, not adding enough alcohol to balance out the oil could've resulted in this happening. BUT it is all just speculation with no real proof or really any scientific basis. I do want to try it again and get a delicious, fully cooked cake!
Up next: Going back to my Korean roots and showing some Dukbokki (dukbokkee)
0 comments:
Post a Comment