Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Kale Quiche

Yeah, I know I said Kale-Spinach Quiche earlier, but I just decided to call it kale quiche because really that's all you can see :P

See the kale?
Yeah I just found out that kale is really good.  I love the flavor of it.  A bit bitter but it's not too overpowering.  Although I didn't realize the stems would be so crunchy, oops.  Although it did give a nice textural contrast to the quiche mixture.

Ooh, raw kale...
I cooked down the kale with some onions, spinach, garlic, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.  Covered it to let it steam a bit and let it cool.  Yeah and kale is supposed to be really good for you! Great, now I'll eat it all the time :)

Egg mixture for the quiche!
I mixed the kale mixture with some eggs, a bit of milk, and some fontina cheese. Yumm! Although since I wasn't following a recipe I didn't know how much I need to fit the pie crust.

Baked! Less shrinkage on the crust this time :P
I tried using egg yolks in this pie crust instead of water. And there was less shrinkage than usual.  So yay, but it was harder to work with and roll out.  Also the other issue was that it kind of just fell apart when you brought your fork to it.  Sooo, next time, I'll go back to using water.

Yums! (I want to eat it again now that I'm looking at it)
I also roasted some baby gold potatoes to help fill me up.  Yup, pretty tasty.  Such a simple prep of a simple ingredient, so good!

It's weird.  I kind of do this thing where one post I would talk about my day or work. Then the next I would just talk about the food.  I wonder what people think? What do you think? Would you like posts more focused on the food and the process or more about my life? Or both (but then I would write a long essay)?

Anywhoos, I am le tired from work and ready to just sleep.  Alas, I must pack...Going to visit my cousins in the OC tomorrow and I might go to Disneyland on Friday! Man I haven't been there in a while, can't wait!

Up next: Can't decide. Either Beignets or Kalua Cheesecake or Korean BBQ.

0 comments:

Post a Comment