Saturday, December 24, 2011

Kalbi (Korean BBQ)

Almost Merry Christmas! Yumm, Korean BBQ! Sweet, salty, grilled marinated meat! What's not to like?

Grilling meat!
I marinated my BBQ in soy sauce, water, honey, brown sugar, pepper, sesame oil, pureed onions, garlic, ginger, and a Braeburn apple.  I didn't have an Asian pear on hand and all I had was an apple, so I just used that.  Glad it wasn't like a Granny Smith or anything.  Braeburns are a little sweeter so it was perfect.

"An apple, my dearrrr??" - a Witch 
I used an indoor grill that my apartment mate has. I wish I had an outdoor grill to use, but it's winter and cold so I was glad to cook it indoors.  Although cleaning it up is a pain in a butt.  And I was SUPER hungry that day so I ate about 2/3s of it.  I bought 2.75lbs of short rib, but don't worry a good amount of the weight was bones.

Puree-ing it up!
I am definitely enjoying my break.  Today is going to be a sit. eat. sit. day. Disneyland was also really fun yesterday too. I'll post about it later!  I ate some good food too.  Surprised it was at Dland.

Marinade made and meat sitting in a bag
Oh! I'm currently brining a young turkey right now! I'm excited! I hope it turns out good.  I really have NO IDEA what I'm doing.  I brined it in water, salt, garlic, ginger, and italian seasoning.  Also I think I was supposed to remove the innards BEFORE putting it in the brine, whoops...Hopefully it won't make a difference taking the innards out afterwards.

As I was eating...Nom!
Yup going to be sitting all day, on my laptop, yay! Don't really have much else to say 'cause I can't think right now.

Up Next: Kalua Cheesecake!
I shouldn't be lazy with the recipes. I'll do my best to post them from now on! I'm not that great at writing recipes so please let me know if there are any errors or any suggestions for improvement!

Kalbi-Korean BBQ

2.75 lbs laterally cut short ribs
Marinade:
¼ cup water
¼ cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp white sugar or honey
¼ tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 Asian pear/Sweet apple, roughly chopped/sliced
½ onion, roughly chopped/sliced
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp ginger

Soak the ribs in water to remove the blood.  Let it sit for 30 minutes, changing the water at the 15 minute mark.
Combine Asian pear, onion, garlic and ginger in a blender or food processor.  Process into a smooth paste.
Combine the thick paste with the rest of the ingredients (Cinnamon is just my little touch). Mix well and taste. Adjust accordingly.
Place the ribs and pour the marinade into a freezer bag or any other marinading vessel. Make sure everything is coated. Let marinade for at least an hour to overnight in the fridge.
Bring the ribs to room temperature before grilling*.  Grill over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. And Enjoy with some rice!

*I suggest grilling rather than doing it in the pan because the sugar in the marinade will burn and probably ruin the pan.  You can also broil it in the oven, just make sure to watch it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment