Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cinnamon Buns

I love bread. Period. "But you're Asian, you should love rice" Okay not that Asians don't eat bread, but you won't see Asian families put breadsticks or dinner rolls on the table.  I guess pasta could also be equivalent to rice, but pasta's Italian....okay wait what was I talking about again?

Oh right, bread! Making bread and using yeast is such a fun process.  Yeah fine, I know science is involved, but I'll put that aside for now.  I love making the dough from scratch, using your hands to knead it, then watching it rise like crazy.  And you end up with delicious, fluffy bread filling your home with a wonderful aroma.

Cinnamon Rolls!

I interned/kind of got paid at Pangea bakery for about a month or so and I rolled a lot of bread dough, so yes, it came in handy while making these guys.  Total side note, but I think Asians have a hard time with the idea of free labor.  They felt the need to pay me despite me wanting to be there for free, sigh.  I'm sure my bread rolling skills would have gotten a lot better if they let me stay. I'm not bitter.

Anyways, I made some cinnamon rolls with a friend using the same recipe a few days before I made these.  And I found that there was no need for frosting. I actually liked them the way they were.  We got the recipe from the ever so popular blog Smitten Kitchen. She used an insane amount of sugar so we just kind of sprinkled it on.  I mean I can kind of see now why she put so much because when it's so thin you can't really see it, but don't worry you can still taste it :D

Rolled up nice and tight

Cinnamon rolls are one of my dad's favorites.  I feel like every single time I go home to visit, there's some point where the words, "I want" and "Cinnabon" come together and make a sentence.  So it's nice that I now know how to make them, who knows? Maybe I'll make some for my dad one day!

And on the subject of home, I'll be going home to Sunnyvale up in Northern California for a week and a day.  I hope to see some old friends, cook for family and friends, and dye my hair brown.  Yes I want to dye my hair brown and I can't wait! It'll be a nice change even if it doesn't look like at all how I imagine it.

Fluffy fluffy~

I did unfortunately burn the cinnamon rolls just a tad despite doing it 5 minutes less than the time suggested in the recipe.  I regret not baking them in a glass baking dish or lining the bottom of the pan with foil like my friend suggested after I made them. But the bottom got a little crispy and sticky sweet which was nice.

I wonder what kinds of things I'll be making at home? I guess we'll see :D! Until next time and thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I love the "I interned/kind of got paid" line. I love it when I kind of get paid too. :) This looks like a fine breakfast to me. It would work well as a late night snack too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Zen :D
      I feel honored that you commented on my blog!

      Haha, yes for kind of getting paid! And I definitely ate these too fast and at pretty much any hour of the day.

      Delete