I love farmer's market. Period. I just came back and had to post about it for my own records. So feel free to read.
I keep forgetting how great they are. They have so many beautiful, delicious looking vegetables and fruits. Gorgeous mushrooms. Colorful juices and smoothies. Saliva-inducing food. Aromatic coffees and teas. Pungent, strong cheeses. Can't think of any more adjectives, it's a Saturday, I want rest.
But they're great! I went with a couple of friends and we ate so many delicious things! We went to the one in downtown SD. First thing I saw as we were walking was a bright yellow sign with the words "Chanterelle mushrooms" I'm pretty sure my eyeballs exploded out of their sockets. I quickly ran over, talked to the man about them and bought a quarter pound for myself to experiment with. Ingredient of the Month!
We walked up the street, stopping at random places along the way. I saw some romesco cauliflower which I had only seen on TV once. Green and looks spiky and rough. But I'm sure it tastes great! Right next to it was this bright purple kale. Nagoya Kale. It was SO pretty. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I also saw some heirloom carrots, tiny, some red, yellow, and orange. Great stuff!
I wanted to eat something so we went to the food truck Chop Sooey [think that's how you spell it]. It was a bit chilly in the morning, so my eyes locked on to the "Wild Boar Chili and Jalapeno Cornbread" It was so warm, comforting, a bit spicy, and very hearty. It was topped with cheese and fresh salsa. Yumm! I have a hard time distinguishing meats when it's in chili form. The wild boar almost felt like pulled pork. And the cornbread, so moist and soft, it fell apart. It was sweet which made a great complement to the chili. The bottom was crunchy which added a nice textural contrast. A great way to start the day :D!
We started on our way back down the street, nomming on a couple samples here and there. One of my friends brought me to a place that shucks oysters and sells live sea urchin. She said the live uni is the best! I had to try some! We split one. It was probably one of the best things I've tasted. Initially I got a bit of a salty bite from the fresh uni [and probably the salty water]. Then it would just MELT in your mouth, so creamy, a bit nutty almost. And the sea urchin was still MOVING, how cool! I will now refuse to have sea urchin unless it is FRESH! I've had some in the past and they tasted like fish...now I know what the real deal is!
We grabbed some coffee. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I definitely want to learn about it. According to my coffee aficionado friends, Starbucks is crap. Farmer's markets and small cafes are the way to go. I'm still sipping on some as I type this. Delish!
Can't get enough of Farmer's Markets! Just wish I wasn't so far away from it...But it was a great morning! I can't wait until I go again!
Thanks for reading :D!
0 comments:
Post a Comment