Friday, January 13, 2012

Cereal Milk Panna Cotta

Hello!
Panna Cotta! What is it you ask? It's like...creamy jello...that doesn't sound appetizing at all. It's an Italian Dessert that is solid like jello but when you put it in your mouth it should just melt away.  The very FIRST time I made panna cotta, I added way too much gelatin so it was almost rubbery in texture and you had to chew to get through it. Yuck. At the time I thought I did it right, until I looked around on the internet and read some books.

The toasted cornflakes smelled so good!
Momofuku's Milk Bar.  I only heard about it and then I borrowed the cookbook from a friend and began looking through it.  I found Cereal Milk. What?! What is that, just milk flavored with cereal? Yeah, pretty much. Then on the next page I saw Cereal Milk Panna Cotta! What an amazing idea! I hadn't made panna cotta in over a year so I thought I would give it another shot.
You take toasted cornflakes and just let it steep in milk for at least 20 minutes.

It's steeping time!
Drain and squeeze out all the milk from the cornflakes.  It definitely did not look appetizing, but it actually tasted like cornflakes...Add a bit of brown sugar and a pinch of salt to the milk.

Mushy cornflakes...
Add bloomed gelatin to warm cereal milk [I heated it in the microwave] to dissolve it and let it sit in the fridge to set.  And of course it still tasted like cornflakes! I garnished it with some regular cornflakes and a bit of yellow grapefruit which I felt worked out very nicely.

Time to eat!
It probably could've used a TAD bit more gelatin, I probably messed up somewhere. It was VERY jiggly.  I think if I took it out of the glass it would've just went SPLAT.  Luckily you can't see that in the pictures :P! However, it did melt in my mouth, MUCH better than my first attempt. My first bite was a bit weird because the taste of cornflakes was so strong, but as I ate more, the cornflake flavor would deepen.  Then I thought of frosted flakes...They're GRRRRREAT!

Recipe will be posted soon!

Up Next: Possibly pavlova...

4 comments:

  1. Lately I've been spending time thinking about unconventional breakfast ideas, this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha if only it were my idea and not from the crazy creative mind of Christina Tosi (pastry chef of Momofuku's milk bar). You can also drink the milk straight up or with other things after you steep it for a nice cornflake kick.

      Delete