| Ooooh, Chanterelles! [Although I wish they were nicer, my bad!] |
As I mentioned in my last post about the farmer's market, I got really excited when I bought these. BUT, they are expensive so I just bought a quarter pound for myself to taste. I was a bit concerned with the fact that they had a dark brown color along the edges but the guy said I could just trim that off. And now I know for next time to pick them out myself...You live and you learn
| Sauteing them! |
Slight detour from this food adventure...just a slight one...
A great friend of mine got me a book called "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee. It's amazing! I quickly looked up cooking techniques for mushrooms.
Here's an excerpt: "Their [mushrooms] flavor is generally most developed and intense when they are cooked slowly with dry heat to allow enzymes some time to work before being inactivated, and to cook out some of their abundant water and concentrate the amino acids, sugars, and aromas. Heat also collapses air pockets and consolidates the texture."
And there's a ton of other science-y information. YES! My degree in biology is paying off!
| Chanterelles and Pasta. |
The very first chanterelle, I sauteed with a bit of garlic and a tiny pinch of salt. I did it over medium low heat for a good 4-5 minutes (or at least it felt that long). They slowly began smelling like caramel or brown sugar. Sweet! That meant the water was evaporating and the sugars were concentrating, right?...right? I ate a piece. It has this mellow earthy, rich flavor, not overpowering, and this great meat-y texture. Delish!
I'll figure out what to do with the last one! :D
Up Next: Pineapple-Dried Apricot Cupcakes!
Hi Chris:
ReplyDeleteYou've hit on my absolute favorite seasonal ingredient. They start to appear here in the Pacific Northwest in October. No need to trim unless there are slimy parts. Just brush them off with a mushroom brush and cook them. Sounds like you're on the right track. They are a great soup garnish, too!
Karen
Hey Karen!
DeleteThanks for the tips and the comment! :D I'm really happy that I got to use some chanterelles for once.