Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Croquembouche

Whew this took a while to make! But it was really fun! And definitely having a friend over to help made it more enjoyable. Thanks Jackie for coming by!

Croquembouche is a French wedding cake made with profiteroles (small cream puffs) filled with some kind of cream, flavored pastry cream, chantilly cream, variations on whipped cream anything you want! Traditionally, they are glued and held together with caramel (which is what we did) but some people like to use chocolate. The profiteroles are then formed into a cone shape.
I've seen a lot of different ways of making the cone shape. Making a cone out of parchment or wax paper and filling it in with the profiteroles and lining the caramel. Or buying a foam cone and attaching the profiteroles against it and then using toothpicks to keep them in place. Or just building it from the bottom up. Hehe, so we were kind of lazy and didn't want to go shopping for the cone so we just built from the bottom up.

We weren't paying too much attention as we were building it, so it began leaning to one side, haha. Oh wells, not bad for our first one huh? I filled these with a simple vanilla pastry cream that I added whipped cream so it would lighten up a bit. I also used the rest of the heavy whipping cream I had and added vanilla (chantilly cream) since I didn't have enough pastry cream. FYI, the pastry cream inside these were so much better than one of my very first posts on this blog!
The best part of this! CARAMEL! I love spinning the sugar around the tower. Thin, gold strings that shine so beautifully! Haha, we made such a mess, but it was a fun mess!
Someday gotta make this again! Hope you enjoyed!

1 comment: