Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pear Galette

YAYY! Pears are in season too!

Actually, growing up, I was never really fond of American style pears. I think even at the young age, I didn't like the texture nor the fact that it wasn't very sweet. I LOVED Asian pears, big, round, juicy, with-a-crunch-like-apples, fat pears.

But as I'm learning how to cook more, reading more blogs, and exploring new flavors, it is now time for me to appreciate the deliciousness that is the PEAR! Now on to the galette...


Well, galette is apparently a general term for anything with a crispy, free form crust, which is kind of what this is. It's essentially a pie dough, just not in a pie tin, that is all. Really quick and easy to make. I've always been scared of pie dough because they say the butter MUST remain cold for as long as possible and I don't exactly have all the tools (aka food processor) to do it quickly, but using my hands, it went just fine.


I bought a bosc pear, they are a bit more tart, should've bought a sweeter pear (duh the skin is green like an apple, green = tart, actually I don't know if that's true or not, anyway...) I had a red pear on Saturday, man was it yummy! But I sweetened the bosc pears up with some honey, brown sugar, and fresh nutmeg. I also glanced at a recipe and added flour to help thicken it, but I also think it might have made the filling more dry, so next time, no flour in the filling.

If you want the recipe, leave a comment. To my friends, let me know if you want to learn how to make these lovely pastries! We can make them together, with fruits of your choice!

1 comment:

  1. hahahah i like your comment about the "green = tart DUH" thing hahahahahah :D
    looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete