Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Birthday Cake

I was gone this past week and things have been crazy since post graduation (kind of not really).  Well, I just came back from a family trip to NY and Boston!  It was a food adventure for me!! Unfortunately, my parents aren't huge foodies so I definitely have to go back to NY to try all the wonderful things they have there.  Someone want to come with me?

Earlier this month I made a birthday cake for a good friend of mine.  We totally surprised him since it was 3 days before his actual birthday!  A bunch of us went out to dinner and when we brought this cake out, he thought it was for someone else, but then he saw us all looking at him and he was utterly confused.  It was great! :P Yeah, I think they all enjoyed it! I hope they weren't say "This is good!" just to make me feel good haha.


How's it look? Let me tell you about what's inside (unfortunately it wasn't super pretty inside, no pictures)

I wanted to make a triple layer vanilla-orange-raspberry cake.  It turned out to be a vanilla-orange-vanilla with weird swirls in it cake.  For the raspberry cake, I cooked down some raspberries and made a sauce.  I swirled it into the batter of the third cake, but it turned green in the oven (what??) It was pretty ugly and it didn't even taste like raspberry :(

Luckily, a friend of mine who was helping me out suggested we soak that third one in the raspberry sauce, so we did, it worked out and helped moisten the cake as well. :D Unfortunately, the vanilla cake recipe I followed was a bit dry, wish it was more moist. But it was my first time making vanilla cake from scratch.


I failed at the buttercream so bad.  Buttercreams and me just do not mix. Luckily (ONCE AGAIN!) I had some heavy cream I needed to use, so we whipped it all up and covered the cake with it.  I baked some macarons and used the shells to decorate the sides.  We cut up some strawberries and used leftover orange zest to garnish the top.  It was a really fun cake to make and I hope my friend enjoyed the cake!

I'm heading back down to San Diego soon, where for some reason I find more inspiration to cook, maybe 'cause I have more tools down there...Anywho, can't wait to update more food adventures!

0 comments:

Post a Comment