Blueberries are SO good! I found some at Trader Joe's, frozen, but for 12 oz it was only 1.99. Hey, I thought that was a pretty good deal, so I bought like 3 bags.
I wish I could buy some fresh when they are in season. Bursting, sweet, juices, such small little pearls of goodness that make things purple despite their name. So I made some blueberry lime muffins.
UNFORTUNATELY, I was not having the best day, and it really affected my mood. When your mood is bad, so is your food, it's sad. (rhymed). The entire process was rough. I was melting butter in the microwave, forgot about it and it spilled over my ramekin. I had intended to do it at small intervals and slowly melt it, but I left it it and it went all over. Thus resulting in a loss of butter and I didn't even bother to re-do it, so I added in less than the recipe said. But I still kept pressing on
Next problem, frozen blueberries that I decided to defrost a bit in the microwave, again too long and so they released their juices, which meant purple batter...it just doesn't make me think of a muffin, it makes me think of cupcakes...no bueno.
and I just kept dropping random stuff on the ground, and didn't take time to measure/mix properly, resulted in dry muffin...
Sorry, I should maybe say some good things about the muffin......both the blueberry and lime flavor came out which was good. Nifty little trick I learned, to rub lime zest with your fingers to make the oils come out more :) and is even better when done in sugar. These make nice breakfast pastries for the next couple of days :D By the way, I always seem to have trouble with using cupcake liners, so I suggest buying some Pam and spray the pan instead. I just bought some Pam today and I'm going to give these another shot.
I added this one, just because it focuses on the background. :P and yes we have wine and amaretto back there. Don't worry it's for cooking purposes only...sometimes...
Next up: either creme brulee or lasagna, depends on what I feel, probably lasagna since it's a savory dish.
Thanks for stopping by! Happy cooking!
Blueberry-Lime Muffins (based off of ecurry.com, this isn't the recipe verbatim, I'm giving you my version, just don't do it as poorly as me if you do decide to try it)
-1 3/4 cups unbleached AP flour (all purpose)
-Scant 1 Tbsp baking powder
-1/4 cup sugar
-pinch of kosher salt
-1/2 stick of butter, melted
-1/8 cup or 2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
-1 large egg
-1/8 cup of heavy cream (I omitted this, but I'm sure it makes it more moist and delicious, I just added more milk)
-1/2 cup whole milk
-zest of 1 lime
-1 Tbsp lime juice
-3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen, thaw)
1. Line muffin pan with liners or spray with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add zest to flour mixture and rub with your fingers to release oils. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar and egg until smooth. Whisk in heavy cream and milk until combined. Preheat oven to 350 F.
4. Add blueberries to flour mixture and toss with fingers until coated. (I also used a wooden spoon which was probably too rough and caused more blueberry juice to spill out). Make a well in center of the bowl and add butter mixture and sprinkle lime juice. Using a spatula (again I used a wooden spoon) gently pull the flour mixture into the center until just combined. The batter will be sticky, not runny.
5. Divide batter into muffin cups/tin, filling about 3/4s of the way up. Bake for about 25 minutes. But check at 20 minutes. This recipe was originally for mini muffins and it says 20 minutes, I had to bake mine at little longer because they were bigger, but check at 20 minutes anyways just to be safe.
6. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack and enjoy!
0 comments:
Post a Comment